2003-02-22 - 3:29 p.m.
interview, contemplating becoming a ninja, impending train wreck
Fast update, cause I need a nap.
1. Sometimes things don't go the way you think. I got an email from the folks at that interview (the one I bombed). I guess they didn't think I bombed it. (I wonder what interview they were at, cause it wasn't the one I was at.) Which is both good and bad. Good, because, you know, money. Bad because I don't want to do that commute, and they would want me to do a lot of overtime, which I don't want to do either. I don't really want a computer job, I'm just looking because I'm broke.
Oh yeah, and the interview for Friday was pushed off to Monday. That one might be better. We'll see.
2. Last night I watched "Snow Falling on Cedars". That is an incredible movie. The direction was awesome, with a unity of vision, and a facility at visual story-telling that you just never see. If you haven't seen it, put it on your short list. Damn, yo.
3. This morning I went down to see a stage combat test, just, you know to keep my face familiar, and to remind myself that I love that stuff. I saw a bunch of people I haven't seen in too long, including a woman I went to high school with. Then, during the master class, I got to play a bit, too. Which was fun.
4. I just got back from talking to the people who run a stunt team. They've invited me to join (on a probationary basis). Here's the deal. $80 a month for classes, I have no idea what the chances of actually getting work out of it are. Some rather draconian rules (don't take other combat/stunt related classes without their say-so). I watched the team practicing, and was not terribly impressed. They were doing some sword work, which granted, is not their foray, but from just the classes I've taken, I could point out about twenty thirty things they were doing drastically wrong.
Plus, and here's the real kicker. The guy who runs the whole thing (who I didn't meet) seems to have this cult of personality. He teaches cheesy-looking ninja martial arts, and there are a ton of pictures of him around posing with people, and I just don't have a good feel.
I asked a couple of questions, and if the answers come back wrong, I won't do it. Even if I do it, I'm going in with a very cautious attitude. I figure the cost isn't prohibitive, and I can always walk away.
But, I dunno. I mean, sure I could be a ninja, but still, I dunno.
5. Tonight, oot and aboot with CowPlace people. Drink at the bar. Probably seeing ShyGirl for the first time in a long time. We'll see how big the train wreck gets.